Wednesday, October 10, 2012

...and I'm back.

I have a problem starting something, and then finishing it...and I'm still trying to figure out if age is really related to learning new tricks. On that note, I'm back to the blog. 

Arch Rock, Mackinac Island, Mi.


The past 6 months I have been living on Mackinac
Island working at a bar. It has been an experience...to 
say the least. I am at the point where everything about 
this place is driving me insane (island fever is real), and I cannot hear the same musicians play the same songs, 
and the "DJ" play the same play list on his Pandora station ever again. So I sit here trying to cling to the amazing things that I saw and took part of.
Overlooking Lake Huron, Mackinac Island, Mi.















View from Sunset Rock, Mackinac Island, Mi.

Fort Holmes, Mackinac Island, Mi.

If I can tell anyone things they need to do while spending time on this island, it would be to GET OFF MAIN STREET! 

People don't realize that 90% of the island is State park and National Forest. There are more than 50 miles of hiking paths open for exploring. Bring a map with you and explore the trails! The bike around the island is amazing, especially in the summer when the water is crystal clear and the view of Mackinaw Bridge is fantastic. Catch a sunset from the high schools swing set, and a sunrise from Fort Holmes. Take a picnic break in Soldiers Garden. Find the small bench that overlooks the highway and catch an amazing view, or watch a man golf from his front yard. This island is so much more than bars, and tourist trap stores. These are the things I will hold on to.
Sunset from British Landing, Mackinac Island, Mi.

Sunset Anchor, Arnold Line Ferry Dock overlooking the Marina
Mackinac Island, Mi.

Mackinaw Bridge, Mackinac Island, Mi.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments, suggestions or questions!